[opendtv] Re: News: Glitches Come to Light in Wilmington

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 16:42:04 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Do you mean not changing the transmission standard or not
> changing the receivers?

I mean, not changing the transmission standard.

If you want to improve robustness, there are only two viable options
with ATSC as is:

1. Change the transmission standard *and* the receivers (a la DVB-T2),
or

2. Change the receivers, making better use of what is already there.
More in line with what the 5th and later gen ATSC receivers have done.

So it seems obvious that #2 can be accomplished more readily than #1.
Although eventually, of course, you're going to change the transmission
standard too. Assuming OTA delivery survives.

Parenthetically, have you guys seen that Amazon is offering TV episodes
and other stuff online? Even streaming, or just download. The catch is,
they are ridiculously expensive. Not likely to replace other TV
distribution media anytime soon. It won't become anyone's staple for TV,
at the prices they are demanding. (I mean, add up $2.00 per episode over
one month of Amazon-only TV, for example.)

> The question always has been legacy receivers. If they are
> made obsolete by any change are we not in affect changing
> the transmission standard?

I think that the situation we are in today, as compared with the
situation 4 years ago for instance, is exactly what I'm talking about. I
can stick my flat panel TV antenna in a fireplace on the ground floor,
and receive "perfect" TV now. And this is possible even though the
transmission standard, and the spectral efficiency, were not changed an
iota. Isn't this preferable to having instead changed the transmission
standard, reduced spectral efficiency, and having had to extend the
switchover for who knows how many years?