[opendtv] Re: News: Disney Open to Basic-Cable-Network Buys

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:18:39 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> To start with, what is a content stream? None of the cable
> networks you mentioned are content streams.

I'm saying that Disney is not looking to buy cable systems. It is only
looking for access to nationwide 24/7 distribution of specific content
they control and/or own, on BASIC CABLE tiers. On this, I think we
agree.

The "many liabilities" with OTA, that you mention, are liabilities the
FCC should be dealing with, if it has any interest in maintaining an OTA
network in the good ole USA. Matter of fact, didn't the FCC get all
upset EVEN WITH CABLE when the Janet Jackson wardrobe thing happened?
Basic cable and OTA are about the same thing, as far as the FCC is
concerned. They even mentioned it at the time, if you recall. The
audeinces for basic cable are to be "protected" the same as OTA
audiences.

> What Disney wants from cable is to control a significant
> number of basic tier channels so that they can accumulate
> audiences that have left the broadcast networks.

"So they can accumulate audiences" is all that matters. If they
accumulate a few more audiences with an efficient OTA network that
behaves like basic cable, why would they give that up? The reason they
lose interest in OTA is that they are not allowed the same control as
they can get from their "leased" MVPD pipes. That's all.

>> Disney only has 10 O&Os? Wow. If they aren't interested in
>> owning a potential nationwide distribution OTA plant, I'll bet
>> someone else would be.
>
> Can you name anyone?

Sinclair? Disney?

In short, you enjoy repeating that "OTA is dying," but at the same time,
you go in assuming that what is strangling OTA TV must continue to
exist. This isn't chipped in stone. It's up to the FCC to adjust its
rules. Michael Powell was entirely on the right track.