[opendtv] Re: New mission: Adding digital TV to every portable screen

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:54:10 -0400

From everything I've read in the past many years, I can't help but
believe that mobile TV might work okay ONLY IF it can be made part of
the standard OTA TV transmission package. It just seems like anytime
people try to create a separate network just for mobile reception, it
just doesn't hold its own. One wonders how many times this has to be
repeated before th hype subsides.

If it's true that TV to cell phones isn't the only or best way to offer
mobile TV, then that makes it even more viable to improve the receivers
and use the standard OTA signal.

It like a "Tale of Two Cities..."

Europe already had a viable Digital TV standard that could easily be optimized for mobile reception ( e.g. Las Vegas 2000). They mistakenly decided that they needed to enhance their standard to deal with short term limitations in M/H receiver design, especially power utilization.

The U.S. had a standard optimized for fixed receivers that offered little hope of every being useful for M/H devices. Thus the effort began to develop an M/H standard that could co-exist with 8-VSB.

In both cases the relentless march of technology overcame at least some of these limitations.

In the U.S., 8-VSB was made to work via brute force application of chip real estate to the problem - however, it is highly unlikely that 8-VSB can ever be expected to provide reliable M/H service.Thus the new M/H standard may provide a path to serving the M/H market, whatever it turns out to be.

In Europe DVB-T was also made to work better as receiver design advanced. So much better that the ability to provide reliable M/H service is now a commercial reality. The need for DVB-H was largely eliminated because of advancements in other areas.

But there is still a universal problem - apparently nobody has a clue as to what the public needs/wants from an M/H service, and the mobile Internet is rapidly devaluing the entire M/H opportunity.

What we DO know is that consumers do not want another subscription TV package that parallels what they are already paying for at home. A variety of "by-pass" technologies make it very easy to move video assets to M/H devices like the iPhone/Touch - what is even more important in this respect is that the traditional TV broadcast business model does not provide what consumers are looking for , especially during the critical weekday day parts - do you really want to watch game shows, soap operas and Jerry Springer on an M/H device?

It is now easy to take prime-time fare, load it onto an M/H device and enjoy "quality entertainment" at ANY time. I can't see this changing unless broadcasters move away from their time and channel programming mentality.

It is also clear that there are some opportunities to serve traditional TV fare to M/H devices. At the top of the list is live sporting events; success here will largely depend on greed. If broadcasters can deliver live sports in the clear it may be enough to drive a robust market for M/H devices; if it is a new premium service all bets are off.

Next is news and weather. Unfortunately this audience is moving to the Internet, even at home. I DO utilize my iPhone to access news and weather information every day. The key here is that I can search for exactly what I am looking for. Packaged TV programming that is not available on demand falls far short of what I am looking for. This could change if Broadcasters figure out how to deliver targeted services to local cache so that these services are available "on-demand." I believe that this may be the most important part of the new ATSC M/H standard, but broadcasters will need to learn how to use these new capabilities, and they must endure the process of building a new service and developing an audience - in short this will require considerable investment, something that many broadcasters are unwilling or unable to do.

The most important take-away here is that this is NOT a "technology problem." It is a business model problem that will require the development of an entirely new service and the attendant investment that goes along with building a new industry.