[opendtv] Re: Natural Motion on your PC

  • From: jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 08:31:08 +0200

Hello,

Doug McDonald <dtvmcdonald at yahoo.com> asked:
> Will you please (tell) to us exactly how this works?
> By that I mean well enough for us to duplicate it.

It depends on what you mean with "duplicate" ?

I suppose that what you should do is purchase the WinDVD Platinum
DVD player software and install it on your (Windows) PC. This will
up-convert the images from the DVD to the frame rate of the monitor.
It is a software-only version of Philips Natural Motion, as it has
been documented countless times by a.o. Gerard de Haan. I suppose
that it uses some hardware accelleration features of the graphics
card too. It does not require Philips hardware, like "Falconic".
I am not well informed about the details, this was a project from
Research, but I think that it can do de-interlacing (for 50i/60i)
as well as movie judder removal (for 24p/25p/30p). I could ask.

If with "duplicate" you mean: re-design it from scratch, then I
wish you good luck. There are known open-source projects on the
web where they create all sorts of image processing for the same
purpose of showing movies on the PC with improved quality. They
can remove camera shake, and even the frame flicker that results
from duplicating a movie with an unsynchronised camcorder.  ;-)

Greetings,
-- Jeroen.
|-----------------------------+---------------------------------------|
| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen | E-mail:   Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx  |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven| Philips Digital Systems Laboratories  |
| Phone:    ++31.40.27.32739  | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2   |
| Fax:      ++31.40.27.32572  | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |
| Pager:    ++31.6.6513.3818  | Visit us: http://www.pdsl.philips.com/|