[opendtv] Re: More NTSC B&W to NTSC Color

  • From: "Don McCroskey" <mccroskey2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 22:18:06 -0800

I can only speak for the practice used by ABC, Hollywood; but, as you
will see, there seemed to be only one practical choice.
ABC began color transmission (film only) it the fall of 1963 using the
RCA TK-26C film chain.
An RCA Color Frequency Standard,MI-40201A, generated the 3.58 MHz
color subcarrier which was fed to the colorplexer
and also divided down to a2H  31.4685 KHz pulse which was connected to
the external input of the RCA TG-2 sync generators.
From that point on, the whole plant operated on a 29.97 frame rate.
Switching to 30 fps for B&W was unnecessary and would
likely cause noticeable on-air disturbances and would have been very
upsetting to video tape recorders using the plant sync generators as a
reference.
Later, when TK-27 film chains were added to accommodate a near-all
color film schedule, it became necessary to disable the color burst
while black-and-white film was being run to avoid unwanted random
colorization on some home color sets.
This was not required if the program contained a mixture of black and
white and color sections.

Don McCroskey