[opendtv] Re: Monthly Bill Fatigue

  • From: "Cliff Benham" <cliff.benham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:22:21 -0400

Bert wrote:

>>Cliff Benham wrote:

>> Funny you should mention it...
>> If you like to listen to National Public Radio, you are
>> out of luck when driving between DC and Philadelphia
>> because both radio stations carrying NPR operate on the
>> same frequency, 90.9 mHz!
>>
>> HOW DID THE FCC SCREW THIS ONE UP???
>>
>Cliff, I don't know how the FCC screwed this up, nor do
>I know whether there aren't other NPR stations between
>Wash and Phila, on some other fequency, that might fill
>in the gap.

There are not.=20
I think NPR costs each station over a million a year.

>Assuming there are no other stations within range, the
>more important question is why doesn't NPR address this
>problem for all the folks they are leaving unserved in
>this region? Never mind people on a short trip, what
>about residents? There must be many many thousands of
>households which can't receive NPR reliably in this
>corridor, from what you describe. Is this the case?

Yes, this is the case. Because the unserved [double served?]
area has a low population density nothing will ever be done.

>> For me satellite radio is an absolute necessity that
>> I welcome and gladly pay for so I can hear the news.
>
>It's certainly your right to pay for satellite radio,
>in order to fix a problem which should not exist in
>the first place. But I'm fairly certain that you
>wouldn't starve, or freeze to death, or otherwise have
>your existence endangered, or lose your job, if you
>had to forgo listening to NPR for perhaps half an hour
>during a road trip that lasts maybe 2 or 2 1/2 hours.

My trip is daily, a 30 mile commute to work each way.

If you get your news from the commercial radio and TV
networks, you're not getting the news.

Try listening to All Things Considered for a few days
and you'll realize how much of the news you've been=20
missing.

>Which means that someone complaining about the monthly
>bill tally for all these luxuries they claim to be
>"necessities" doesn't get a lot of sympathy from this
>neck of the woods. It just makes me wonder how we have
>come to this point, as a culture, where people whine
>about their addictions, and others take them
>seriously.
>
>Bert
=20
=20