[opendtv] Re: Mitsubishi preps laser TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:27:31 -0400

Forwarding from Donald Cooleman, whose post bounced:

From: cooleman@xxxxxx [mailto:cooleman@xxxxxx]

Yet another six month delay compared to the previously announced
introduction date.

Mitsubishi showed it publicly at its US dealer show one year ago, the
CES 2008 showing was not the first one. It created a lot of free
publicity, so eetimes reporters, and editors should know better.

But, unfortunately like FED/SED too little, too late, 3D content
probably lacking. As well as being a definite WAF nono, especially
since 3D LCD's have been announced including models that can make some
form of 3D from regular 2D content.

d.

Quoting "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Mitsubishi preps laser TV
>
> Dennis Barker
> (04/07/2008 2:51 PM EDT)
>
> At a press conference held on Friday, April 4, 2008 at the Huntington
> Beach Hyatt in Huntington Beach, CA, Mitsubishi previewed Laser TV.
Back
> in January 2008 at the Consumer Electronics Show, which was held in
Las
> Vegas, Mitsubishi announced an entirely new category in large-screen
> television powered by a new form of illumination -- laser technology.
> Following up on its announcement of Laser TV at CES, Mitsubishi is now
> offering up the brand name of its new Laser TV " <>LaserVue. As the
> first-ever laser-powered television, LaserVue is expected to deliver a
> range of color never before seen in home entertainment, which
Mitsubishi
> is calling "a true dimension experience." Precise and focused, the
> purity of laser light surpasses current high-definition illumination
> technologies.
>
> According to Mitsubishi, today's HDTVs display less than 40-percent of
> the color spectrum that the eye can see. Now, reportedly, for the
> first-time ever, laser produces twice the color gamut of either LCD or
> Plasma TVs. Laser beams provide the widest range of rich, complex,
> colors, along with the most clarity and depth of field. Laser TV,
which
> has been under development for the past several years, is now
apparently
> ready for Prime Time, and is expected to be delivered to dealers in
Fall
> 2008.
>
> Mitsubishi LaserVue TVs are expected to provide the ultimate in
picture
> quality, according to the company, and offer new and innovative
features
> for an exemplary viewing experience. LaserVue TVs will employ the
latest
> generation of TI's DLP chipsets (either HD4 or HD5), and completely
> eliminate the color wheel and lamp found on regular DLP HDTVs.
Further,
> cabinet size and depth will be reduced over standard DLP models also.
As
> well, the Laser TVs are environmentally friendly, consuming
> approximately one-half the power of today's LCD TVs, and approximately
> one-third the power consumption of plasma TVs.
>
> According to Frank DeMartin, Vice President - Marketing, at Mitsubishi
> Digital Electronics America, "Mitsubishi has created a new category in
> television with laser technology and now we are creating an exciting
new
> brand, LaserVue, which we believe consumers come to equate with the
> industry's best performing televisions."
>
> Editor's Comment
>
> In an impressive "shoot-out" between a Pioneer Elite 1080p 50-in.
plasma
> HDTV and a 52-in. Sharp Aquos 52-in 1080p LCD HDTV, the image quality
of
> the Mitsubishi LaserVue looked quite impressive to this reviewer. The
> colors were deep and rich with amazing reds and blacks as compared to
> competitive plasma and LCD 1080p panels. Contrast and clarity were
among
> the best that this reviewer has seen in a long, long time.
Surprisingly,

www.mitsubishi-tv.com.