[opendtv] Microsoft Media Center 2005... Underwhelmed

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:54:03 -0400

Microsoft Media Center 2005... Underwhelmed

Thomas Hawk
Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Ok? so to start with, how can Media Center 2005 NOT have HDTV
capability for satellite and cable receivers? What the hell? TiVo
announces back in January 2003 and delivers earlier this year and MCE
has an opportunity to do a major release on their product and it
doesn't include HDTV support? Something is seriously amiss in
Redmond. Although the product allegedly will support the ATI HDTV
Wonder card it is my understanding that this card only supports OTA
(over the air) HDTV broadcasts. WTF? You mean I can watch NBC in high
def but not HBO, Showtime, Bravo, ESPN HD, Discovery HD, etc. etc.?
Obviously they have not seen Discovery HD Theater yet.

As much as everybody in all the media user groups have been screaming
and clamoring for HDTV for the past three years to not include full
satellite or cable HDTV support in this latest release is a colossal
misstep. I mean I already gave up my MCE television responsibilities
to my HDTV TiVo in June of this year - but I'm an early adopter. I
guess they want to let the rest of the world do the same thing -- so
much for dominating the living room.

http://thomashawk.com/2004/10/microsoft-media-center-2005.html