[opendtv] Re: Media Center

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:57:17 -0800

"The media center idea is not ready for today because it is a half-baked
niche. What, I can't receive anything but free to air on it and it costs
me > $1000 for a system that can record one channel? Pointless!"

First of all, I'm not talking about Microsoft Windows MCE.  I'm talking
about a "Media Center" in its theoretical potential.

And I agree with your dissent about the current price for a single channel
of record and playout (and not at the same time).  That is why I say it
isn't right yet.

"You compare a media center to a multi-point contribution recording and
archiving *system*? What pray tell is the relevance of that, besides the
fact that they both deal with media?"

Exactly, one box can do it all, in one location, for multiple users in any
location (even locally mobile!).  Would not the modern family use a
multi-point contribution, recording, and archiving system?

"The technology is there to put in place a system like you want, on the
cheap, in a PC."

I agree, somewhat.  I put a system together with the previously described
limitations.  But it wasn't cheap, and I'm not into software development.
And it still won't hold all my archived media without adding a large NAS.

So if one does not want the advantages of media center, fine.  But I would,
only it is not cost effective.  So while some of us might want it, we can't
have it (all) yet.

In the meantime, the PVR comes close, except it is still single point, and
works only with a single service type.

All I am saying is that while we may look to a media center for the future,
we still must deal with some clunky technology today.

Dan

                      "Kon Wilms"

                      <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx        To:       opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      >                        cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [opendtv] Re: Media
Center
                      opendtv-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      11/09/2005 04:12

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      opendtv

> The media center idea is a great idea, but is not ready for today.  I am
> trying to design a system that allows faculty to record any media from
> cable, satellite, web cast, and OTA to a SAN and play it back at any
> classroom in the building (and on campus, eventually).  The system will
> cost a small fortune, require the best networks and some software
> development.  So the technology is not there today for the average media
> user.  The PC can get close, but not without a large price tag and some
> technical expertise.  But it is definitely something to look for on the
> horizon.
>
> So for now, I guess we are stuck with separate tuners, media storage,
> removable media players, etc., to feed one display!

The media center idea is not ready for today because it is a half-baked
niche. What, I can't receive anything but free to air on it and it costs
me > $1000 for a system that can record one channel? Pointless!

You compare a media center to a multi-point contribution recording and
archiving *system*? What pray tell is the relevance of that, besides the
fact that they both deal with media? A media center device is not a
professional receiver, it is a consumer OS bundled with a tuner card.

The technology is there to put in place a system like you want, on the
cheap, in a PC. You just have to pony up the cash for the components and
some minimal software development for a UI is all.

Cheers
Kon

-- Type: image/gif
-- File: graycol.gif