[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 22:41:19 -0400

At 9:17 PM -0400 5/17/05, Bob Miller wrote:
>All since retracted I believe. They claim that the current receiver will
>support MPEG4. But they know how important a good receiver is, they are
>living it.

They are living through the pain of being under funded and unable to
follow through with commitments. They are choking on the receivers
they already have and are unable to sell. Hisense was to build
100,000 of the first generation receivers. They have less than 25,000
subs (maybe significantly less), and Tom can relate his experience
with the Hisense box  purchased from WalMart in Jacksonville - the
one he returned.

The competition gives the receiver away, or charges only a small
monthly rental fee.

The DBS companies invested billions in anticipation of positive cash
flow once they hit critical mass. Their business model anticipates
periodic replacement of STBs, thus they are now ready to migrate to
MPEG-4 and more efficient modulation for their birds.

Broadcasters ask only that consumers be forced to pay for a DTV receiver.

Regareds