[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:55:07 -0400

Craig,

Yes, I am certain.  No, 100% of the fee does not subsidize Freeview
directly.  But it does maintain the transmission structure.  It also
subsidizes the 5 BBC video channels in the multiplex.  I don't know if the
independent stations and the other offerings such as ABC 1 get a free ride
or if they pay for carriage.  But the backbone of the system was built and
is maintained by those license fees.

I will gladly admit my error if I am proven wrong. (Wouldn't be the first
time, not by a long shot.)

Without the mandated license fees, then  you would have to somehow tax
individuals for the construction and maintenance of this transmission
infrastructure that is currently done in the UK.  By that definition, even
the UK model is not what you call a "properly designed DTV infrastructure"
since it is not self supporting any more than the U.S. Interstate system.

John