[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 02:24:49 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:
 > Maybe but a doubling of programming by using MPEG4 would help. The
 > combination is a killer.

Yes, of course.  I thought AVC or other advanced codec was always
in their announced plan.  And USDTV being local means they really
don't have to worry as much about compatibility issues since they
can start new technology first in new regions with new boxes.

But as Ron pointed out earlier on this list, there may be problems
with current new AVC silicon decoders.  And there is certainly
still a problem with current ATSC receivers from the USDTV standpoint.

- Tom