[opendtv] Re: Learned somthing new today

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:30:11 -0700

Geez, I thought I almost learned something, Bob, but I was mistaken.

What's the difference between an analog and a digital transmitter?  (The
digital transmitter has better linearity, basically, in the power amplifier
stages, and each has a modulator appropriate to it's encoding system.)

That's it.  PERIOD.

Anything an analog transmitter can do, a digital one can do, and -- quite
often -- the opposite is true.

What you found out is that there is an active market in used transmitter
parts, particularly among cheaper broadcasters.  This is no new.  Just an
example:  when the U.S. stopped making transmission tubes in the late 1980's
(except for IOTs), broadcasters freaked about replacement tubes -- which
mainly now come from Russia.

Not a peep in the regular press.  Who the hell else -- aside from the FAA --
even uses transmission tubes?  (Find a cavity and fill it.)