[opendtv] Re: Is MPEG2 Better than H.264???

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:16:17 -0500

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

>Digigami claims their MPEG2 encoder yields much smaller
>file sizes than currently available H.264 Encoders...esp.
>when HD-DVD data rates are available:

What the claim seems to be is that the only real problem
MPEG-2 ever had was with peak rates. So that with the
BluRay peak of 54 Mb/s available for head room, MPEG-2
can easily manage HD material on DVD. Because, they
claim, the MPEG-2 bit rate in less demanding scenes
cannot be improved by AVC. Overall, the claim is,
MPEG-2 can match or even beat AVC.

I am not surprised that folks are trying to keep MPEG-2
competitive, even if these claims might only apply to
specially selected material for the time being.

Car nuts might recall that in 1978 or 1979, Michelin
introduced a new type of tire with ellyptical cross
section. It was called the TRX. Its purpose was to
permit much higher tire pressures to be used while
not compromising the ride quality. To save fuel. The
only problem being, a new wheel was necessary, to
mate with this ellyptical cross-section tire.

Well, sure enough, next thing you know, standard
construction tire sidewalls were redesigned, so that
the same 32 to 35 psi air pressure could be used
with standard tires, without compromising ride
quality.

It seems obvious that the payoff here goes to
whoever can keep MPEG-2 viable for as long as
possible. I think the article's use of twisted pair
Ethernet, as an example of a lower layer standard
that is good to be kept alive, is a very apt analogy.