[opendtv] Re: Interview: ARE MANY TRANSMITTERS BETTER THAN ONE?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:42:34 -0400

> Now that synchronization is more practical, using GPS
> rather than perfectly measured transmission lines, more
> useful SFNs can be installed in both systems.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm talking about large area
SFNs, just to be clear. By "more useful," I mean is that you have more
options. For continuous coverage of a large market, for instance,
instead of being limited to one big stick and at most some very small
gap fillers, you're now able to install more powerful small sticks to
assist the big stick.

You still want to avoid, if possible, the dense mesh required of large
area SFNs, not to mention the dead coverage zones. I think a good plan
is the big stick which overpowers the small sticks in areas where small
sticks would otherwise interfere with each other.