[opendtv] ISP Filtering

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:20:13 -0800

Bert wrote:

"If you use the MVPD for broadband Internet access, that MVPD is not
preventing your search engine from working. If ISPs, including MVPD
broadband, tried to play games like that, there would be a huge backlash.
You can EASILY find TV content online, using any search engine you care to
use, even if you get to the Internet via the MVPD."

I realize that this is off subject from Craig and Bert's current volley,
but I would like to point out that MVPDs that provide ISP are, in fact,
filtering.  Perhaps not the search engine results, but they are blocking
media from getting to the ISP customer.  When Bert and I were discussing
the case of Comcast filtering sources where Netflix data was originating
from, Bert was okay with this while I had real problems with it.  The two
arguments appear to be an apparent contradiction to me but perhaps to some
they are two different things.  They aren't to me.

Dan