[opendtv] Re: How did Plug and Play (cable) come to include ATSC?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:01:49 -0500

At 11:52 AM -0500 11/18/04, John Shutt wrote:
>Adding two tuners to a DVB STB is very easy, since the chipsets work well
>and are very inexpensive due to multiple vendor sources.  Ditto to adding
>two QAM distal cable tuners to an STB.  Adding two tuners to an ATSC STB
>could be much costlier with 5G Zenith chipsets possibly costing northwards
>of $50 each.

Yes, this is a concern. But you could still do PIP with other
sources, including an NTSC tuner. This will take place in the image
processing portion of the box. And I guess you could do PIP with
different PIDs within a single ATSC transport stream.

I wonder if there are any portions of the "tuner" that can be shared
with the demod/equalizer chips?