[opendtv] High VHF and Channel Master 4228 post

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:11:50 -0400

I thought this was very interesting indeed. The Channel Master 4228 is a
dual array of quad stacked UHF dipoles, very similar to the Antennas
Direct DB8, and somewhat similar to my combined dual DB4 arrays, which
also feed a broad band antenna amp. Although my arrays are not aimed in
the same direction.

http://www.channelmaster.com/product-overview.php?proID=34&catID=33

The trick in these UHF arrays, apparently, is that the combiner also
passes through the VHF frequencies, and that the downlead is used in
part for VHF reception. Perhaps the aperture created by the dual UHF
arrays also helps, for VHF?

This relates to James' post a few days ago, concerning how adequate
these arrays are for VHF. According to the post below, it did better
than a VHF log periodic? (??)

Bert

---------------------------
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/talkback/279344-ABC_FCC_Working
_on_DTV_Reception_Issues-1.php

Submitted by:  Karl Zuk   karlzuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
2009-15-6 06:46:44
Location: NYC
Occupation: Broadcast Engineer

I live 50 miles north of New York City. During the transition period I
could easily resolve all the major NYC TVs using a simple indoor two-bay
bow-tie UHF antenna. When Channels 7, 11 and 13 moved off their
temporary UHF assignments and reverted to their previously analog high
VHF slots, I lost all three. No rabbit ears or other indoor antenna
would suffice. Even a large VHF log periodic array, which produced full
quieting pictures in NTSC, could not resolve the new digital
transmissions. My wide-band Channel Master 4228 8-bay bow tie array with
pre-amp is the only antenna which will bring in the new digital 7, 11
and 13. My guess is that I am suffering from poor carrier-to-noise
levels combined with weak signal strength due to lower transmitter
power. All-UHF operation worked so well. Why was the switch back to VHF
necessary? Did everyone think the VHF spectrum would prove so much more
robust? Can we convince you to revert back to UHF?

Karl Zuk N2KZ