[opendtv] HD across the pond

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:36:56 -0400

IMO, it's not a question of whether BBC should refrain from going HD to
be nice to its rivals. It's more that the BBC should go HD to keep up.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2708

BBC HD market impact 'modest': Ofcom

Media regulator Ofcom has concluded that the BBC's proposed free-to-view
high-definition television channel is unlikely to harm commercial
rivals. Announcing the findings of its market impact assessment (MIA)
into BBC HD, Ofcom said that while the mixed genre BBC HD channel might
have "some negative impact on viewing shares of commercial
broadcasters", that imact was "likely to be modest".

"On balance, Ofcom's analysis has found some positive impacts are
possible, and that there are unlikely to be significant adverse effects.
Therefore, Ofcom has not proposed significant modifications to the BBC's
HD service."

The BBC plans to offer BBC HD on all digital platforms-digital
satellite, digital cable and digital terrestrial-as well as on the
internet. Programmes will come from BBC One and BBC Two plus other BBC
channels and at launch the channel is set to offer a schedule of three
to four hours per day building to nine hours in late 2008.

On the capacity-constrained Freeview platform, the BBC has proposed to
offer either a full nine-hour schedule, if sufficient spectrum capacity
is available after digital switchover, or a four-hour overnight service
between 2am and 6am if insufficient spectrum capacity is available for
peak hours transmission.

Under either option, the four-hour overnight service would begin ahead
of digital switchover.

Meanwhile the BBC Trust Unit published its public value assessment (PVA)
of BBC HD. The PVA concludes that "overall that the service proposal
would deliver a medium to high level of public value". However, the PVA
also highlighted "some issues about the relative public value of a more
limited service on DTT compared to other platforms".

The BBC Trust will now consider Ofcom's MIA and the Trust Unit's PVA and
publish its provisional conclusions next Thursday.

Lovelace Consulting 19.09.2007

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2706

Channel 4 to go high definition on Sky

Channel 4 is about to become the first terrestrial broadcaster to offer
a high definition simulcast of its main channel on BSkyB's digital
satellite platform. The launch of Channel 4 HD, which is expected to
take place in December, will allow Sky HD customers to watch HD versions
of hit Channel 4 shows. Channel 4 HD will also be available without
subscription to viewers with a Sky HD box and viewing card.

Launched last May, the award-winning Sky HD service has become Sky's
fastest-growing additional TV product ever, with 292,000 customers
signing up in the first year. Sky HD offers around 5,000 hours of HD
content each month across a dozen dedicated HD channels.

Rod Henwood, new media director, Channel 4, said: "Channel 4's aim is to
offer our viewers maximum flexibility in accessing our high quality
programmes and content at a time and in the format of their choosing. HD
is a fast-growing consumer technology and we believe our viewers will
welcome the opportunity to watch their favourite Channel 4 shows in high
definition."

Brian Sullivan, managing director, customer group, BSkyB, said: "High
definition is transforming the TV experience and customers are
responding in record numbers to the fundamental improvement in quality
and sound quality. We want our customers to enjoy access to the widest
choice of HD programmes so we're extremely excited about the launch of
Channel 4 HD."

In addition to dedicated channels from Sky Sports, Sky Movies, Sky One
and Sky Arts, the Sky HD service also offers channels from National
Geographic, History Channel and Discovery Channel. Viewers with a Sky HD
box can also access the HD trial channel from the BBC.

Earlier this month Sky HD won the first-ever 'Best Contribution to
Digital TV in the UK' award. The prestigious award, created by the
Digital TV Group and Pace Micro Technology, was presented to Sky at the
IBC trade fair in Amsterdam.

Lovelace Consulting 19.09.2007