[opendtv] Re: H.264 AVC or VC1[ wm9 ]

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:37:21 -0800

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 11:40 +0530, Prashant Desai wrote:
>  is vc1 accepted as a standard by broadcasters and content providers [studios
> etc ? ] .

Haha. No.

>     I am sure there will be many content providers who must be planning for
> these advanced codec's  since it saves lots of their bandwidth and thus the
> cost  .........but  just curious to know if there are any who already have
> announced anything on this ? since as of now it's difficult to decide whether
> to go with MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 part 10/VC1   ?  coz as per my understanding its
> difficult to get the contents in any of the advanced codec's MPEG-4 part 10 /
> VC1 ]  ? isn't it ?

Since you can get AVC/VC1 on a single decoder chipset, you shouldn't
have much to worry about on the decoder side. Most of your content or
distribution sat feeds will be MPEG2. But even so, that doesn't mean you
can't put them through an MPEG4 encoder (you will need to process the
stream for IP distribution anyway).

Cheers
Kon