[opendtv] Re: Google and Apple TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:16:47 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> No doubt E-Bay has done some promotion about the iPhone and iPad apps,
> but most of this has been via THEIR website.
>
> But this still misses the point. E-Bay is using an app to enhance THEIR
> business, NOT Apple's, unless you believe people are buying Apple's
> "atoms" specifically to access E-Bay.
>
> You cannot have it both ways. Either Apple is operating a "walled garden"
> that primarily benefits Apple, or they are offering consumers a platform
> that allows them to access "the cloud" and the services that exist via
> that cloud.

No, I believe that Kilroy was saying that Apple wants to be a closed shop for
everything, but their cloud services are still wanting. So for now, they are
allowing e-bay to create special Apple-only apps to access e-bay. Eventually
this could work against Apple's attempts to close off its i environment.

> I believe Kilroy is underestimating where Apple is with respect to cloud
> services. He may change his tune when we fully understand what Apple
> plans to do with the new data center in North Carolina.

Okay, so you agree with him, then.