[opendtv] Re: Genachowski speech at NAB

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:34:20 -0400

Speaking of a list of supposed "myths."

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-297469A1.pdf

You know how managers sound when they extoll the virtues of the soon-to-be downsizing of a company's work force?

It look like the Chairman subscribes to cable, his kids never knew FOTA TV broadcasting, and therefore it's time to move on. Or am I oversimplifying?

Also, he seems to not appreciate why broadcasters are telling him that sharing spectrum with another broadcaster will prevent them from transmitting to mobile devices. He says, not true. Just both broadcasters go ahead and transmit to mobile devices. (Oh, now I get it.)

Not supporting the Chaiman here...

But.

The technology exists to "compress" the amount of spectrum used by broadcasters, making all of the content that exists today available to mobile devices.

It's just not the technology that broadcasters in the U.S. chose.

Whoops! Another myth.

Truth is that broadcasters allowed another industry to control their standard, an industry that is now ready to throw them on the scrap heap.