[opendtv] Re: Fuel for the Bert & Craig debate

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 02:53:07 +0000

Mark Schubin wrote:

> Rather than discuss what various media outlets have said about the new Nielsen
> Total Audience Report, I recommend downloading and looking at the whole thing.
> It's free. They ask you to fill some stuff out to get it, but they have never
> contacted me as a result of it; it seems quite safe. And the report is
> fascinating!

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/reports/2014/the-total-audience-report.html

Thanks for the pointer, Mark. There's a lot to digest in it.

The graph that tells the story best, concerning TV viewing in general, might be
on page 10. The problem is, what does watching live TV and watching
time-shifted TV include?

On page 21, it defines "TRADITIONAL TV: Watching live or time-shifted content
on a television set."

So in that graph on page 10, it's not clear to me whether or not some of that
game console time, Internet on computer time, and smartphone time, might not
also be watching TV material. It's not clear to me what they are including as
"time shifted" TV.