[opendtv] Re: From Comcast, TV as data center

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 16:24:54 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

> And what if you want to move to another ISP or MVPD?  I guess the
> more services they offer, the harder it is to move.  Just give me
> the bits...that's all I ask!  In other words, I just want a clean
> ISP, using other providers and products for the services I want to
> use.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

All you need here is a PC, connected to the TV if you like, and whatever apps
are needed to control or monitor any IP device available on your home WiFi. Big
flippin' deal. Or, a tablet with a set of apps can do the same job, also via
the home WiFi, if you're happier using tiny screens.

A regular "connected TV" SHOULD have been able to accommodate this, but as we
all know, those have been deliberately crippled by the same interests trying to
sucker consumers into this scheme.

It looks to me like the cable companies are trying to reinvent walled gardens,
rather than making use of the "standard" nature of IP stacks.