[opendtv] FCC on revitalizing the AM band

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 01:50:37 +0000

https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-releases-am-revitalization-first-report-and-order-fnprm-noi

Fun read. Much of it seems to do exactly the opposite. Many of the proposals
are to reduce the AM station's role, during both day and night, and delegate
the work to FM translators. From a technical point of view, this is not
revitalizing the AM band at all. It's more like de-emphasizing its use,
migrating to FM instead.

There's a new technique called modulation-dependent carrier level (MDCL), which
allows the station to reduce power when there's low audio level being
transmitted. Great for the station's power bill, I suppose, but it can't be
good for reception.

Also a discussion about relaxing or eliminating transmit antenna efficiency
rules, to make the antenna(s) easier to site.

Also a discussion about eliminating protections for Class A stations at night,
which allow these stations to have very long range coverage.

And so on.

I think the only meaningful way to "revitalize" the AM band is to replace AM
entirely, with HD Radio. Otherwise, nothing will change the abysmal quality of
the AM signal, especially at night, when any excuse of "we can expand to 30 KHz
channel" cannot apply, and the analogue interference is very bad. (And just how
many AM radios out there have adjustable IF andwidth anyway? Gimme a break.)

Go to HD Radio only, in the AM band. Perhaps transitioning one channel at a
time.