[opendtv] Re: FCC DTV Coverage data

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:23:32 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> For where I live the predictions in both TV Fool and AntennaWeb
> are inaccurate.

I guess models are only as good as the designer made them, and if one
isn't the designer, the shortcomings are not at all obvious.

TV Fool tells me I get reception of stations whose signal strength is
-105 to -110 dBm at the receiver, so I must have some really state of
the art stuff.

One thing I have discovered is that heavy winds seem to eat into signal
margin more than anything else. More than rain and snow, for instance. I
used to attribute this to the antenna swaying some, but obviously that's
not the case when the antenna is safely tucked away inside the
fireplace.

So now I'm thinking it's tree branches and such. And have a new
appreciation for the improvements that better dynamic echo tolerance
could offer. Either using the extra training sequences of the M/H
signal, even when receiving standard 8T-VSB streams, or something along
the lines of McDonald/Limberg/Patel smart exploitation of the 8-VSB
spectrum flatness.