[opendtv] Re: Ericsson Filing

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:42:39 -0400

There are so many avenues available to 'balance' the equation that it is easy to distort in any and all directions, that is what the Ericsson filing points out. If my object was to maximize spectral efficiency in b/s/Hz, I might choose a high order modulation scheme, low FEC, and design for max signal area with tight tower spacings (and, yes, MIMO if it makes sense in the service platform deployed). If I was looking for better efficiency in program services, I might push for HEVC. If I was looking for efficiencies in capital / consumer ratio it might be lower order modulation, higher FEC, larger spacing. If I want to be most efficient in distribution of common content, its broadcast. How about 'efficient' reception?? Etc., on and on...

What we all have to come to an understanding of what are the metrics that we are trying to balance. We all seem to have or own view of important attributes. Anyone want to spell out the primary attributes THEIR system would hit and how they got there?

Mark

On 3/22/2011 6:57 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
In fact, amend my last:

"The peak spectral efficiency of 3.1 b/s/Hz is achieved for ISD up to 2 km,..."

That means, the antennas themselves are 2 Km apart. So the range of a receiver to the closest one would be more typically less than 1 Km.

begin:vcard
fn:Mark A. Aitken
n:Aitken;Mark A.
org:Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.;Engineering & Operations
adr:;;10706 Beaver Dam Road;Cockeysville;MD;21030;USA
email;internet:maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Director of Advanced Technology
tel;work:(410) 568-1535
tel;fax:(410) 568-1580