[opendtv] Re: Distribution outside the bundle

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 10:02:26 -0500

Hit send by accident.

Here's the rest of the response:

> Perhaps I should use that same disingenuous argument to explain that "the
> bundle" distribution is hardly different from DVD or VHS sets.

Depends on how you define "hardly."

- The bundle provided live stream access to the first run of the show.
- You did not need to drive to a store.
- unless you only watch a few shows, the bundle is cheaper than renting or
buying shows on an ala carte basis.

> It will easily scale as fast as consumers make the switch, Craig. It's not
> "years" for individual consumers. If you switched **RIGHT NOW**, you could
> make it work as well as I have been, for the past 4-5 years. If anything, I
> have been experiencing better and better service, even as more and more
> people have begun using Internet streaming. These changes to ISP networks
> have been ongoing steadily, for as long as ISPs have existed.

Yup. And they will continue to evolve. But we are not typical consumers, and
the Internet is not ready for a mass shift. It will take years.