[opendtv] Re: Digital Music's Next Big Battle

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:02:46 -0700

Monty Solomon wrote:
> Last week, I received another jolt. This time, the shock of realizing
> amazing promise came when I checked out a new piece of software
> called TimeTrax. Created by 35-year-old Canadian programmer Scott
> MacLean, TimeTrax allows subscribers of XM Radio's satellite radio
> service to record music off the radio, appending track title and
> artist information to each song. Fans of indie rock could, for

I hate to break the news but this is no revelation. The TimeTrax
developer is just the only person so far *dumb enough* to start flogging
his wares. The USB/Serial XMPCR API was documented over a year ago.

> example, cue their satellite radio receivers to an indie rock
> station, click on Record in the TimeTrax software, go to sleep, and
> wake up the next day with eight hours' worth of music by the likes of
> The Fiery Furnaces and Spoon.

Someone needs to show this poor reporter Shoutcast. Forget about the
low-quality 64Kbit XM feed which may or may not be recorded over analog.

> eBay where the $49 retail units are selling for more than $350.
> MacLean says that the program has been downloaded about 7,000 times
> in the two weeks that it has been available.

I hope MacLean gets sued, if for nothing else than his opportunistic
re-use of work that other people did for free under GPL or just plain
freeware licenses. People in the XMPCR community elected *not* to make
such a piece of software available, because it would destroy the market.
Obviously this guy was not smart enough to put 2 and 2 together:

People who want to record songs in this way are by definition pirates.
He may have 7,000 downloads but I doubt he has more than 1% legal users.

I punched TimeTrax @ google and found:
... 3001609 crack. timetrax 1.9 crack, timetrax 1.9 crack, timetrax 1.9...

With one drop of the hat he has eliminated the hardware, killed his own
sales market which never existed to start off with, and made a lot of
people extremely angry.

Cheers
Kon