[opendtv] Re: DVB to ATSC conversion

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:04:12 -0700

John;

I can't help you with the NTSC part - I don't do analog.

Before answering your question in any detail, one needs to know what flavor
of DVB you are starting with, and whether you have a distribution stream, or
an emission one.  (Different metadata in each.)

In general, you take in video streams and just spit them back out; you will,
however, have no captions absent doing some WST to CEA-608 work.  If you
take in SDi, then you will have to encode, not transcode.  However, signals
generally aren't  considered to be "ATSC" or "DVB" until AFTER encoding, so
you need to investigate if you have unencoded or encoded streams to work
with.  (I suspect you're working with encoded, since SDI is only 1.544
mb/sec.)

Audio is another matter, since one can generally assume that DVB is MPEG-2
or MPEG-1 audio, and ATSC is AC-3.  So, you'll need to transcode the audio
to make much use of it.

So, now we move on to metadata.  You might need to edit out some stuff in
the PMT (just for consistency's saek, but not for ATSC compliance) and, if
you desire to present PSIP information, you'll ned to transcode the SVB-Sis
to PSIP.

No such thing as a box that does it all.

John Willkie

  _____