[opendtv] Re: DTV licensing; Was: Mobile DTV test

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:07:54 -0400

The IP is more likely to be licensed at to the set manufacturer, rather than
at IC foundry.  The unlicensed sets fill up warehouses faster than ICs.

Also, it is easier to justify $25 royalties on something that costs hundreds
of dollars, rather than a few dollars.

But IP prices being higher than actual production costs is not so strange.
Look at PC software.

What is really strange is that copyright term on stuff like computer
software is so much longer than patent term.

What is also interesting is that the Zenith royalties flow to Korea, rather
than to the U.S.  This may help to counteract just a little the huge flow of
patent royalties from Korea to Japan.

I expect to see the U.S. lose position in the innovation game as well as in
the manufacturing game.

Al Limberg