[opendtv] Re: Could be embarrassing...

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 09:04:52 -0400

 Makes sense. We wouldn't want consumers to find out that good old
 NTSC may be more reliable as a mobile delivery technology than
 > ATSC MH...

There is a big difference between mobile and portable. Clearly NTSC did not work well as a mobile service, but there are millions of hand held NTSC portable devices out there. I would expect that the larger audience is for portable devices that can be used at the beach, or any location where the viewer cannot watch a fixed location TV.

Ultimately the success of MH will be based on the content that is available. This is going to be a real challenge, as Mobile Internet devices will have access to a much wider range of content on demand, not to mention pre-loading content onto mobile devices for consumption while traveling.