[opendtv] Commissioner Copps on GE Comcast merger

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:55:35 -0600

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-294980A1.pdf

"Some may have thought the era of media consolidation-fewer huge companies
controlling more of the nation's media assets-was behind us. This transaction
proves those analysts wrong. The push to combine content and distribution
continues and, as the economy recovers, we will see more proposed media
industry combinations.

"While I look at each proposed transaction on its individual merits, my
long-standing skepticism about the harms imposed by so few controlling so much
persists. And this particular transaction raises a multitude of important
questions: What is its impact on the prices consumers will pay? Would the
combination mean more newsrooms (but perhaps fewer reporters) controlled by one
entity? How would the transaction affect minorities and diversity on the
airwaves? Would this merger lead to fewer voices on both traditional and new
media? Does the nature of the transaction make even more urgent the need for
FCC network neutrality rules? What about the future of competition in the
several markets these companies serve? The list of questions and consequences
goes on. Clearly this proposal requires close and comprehensive Commission
review. The lodestar for this review must be the public interest.

"I look forward to broad stakeholder reaction to today's announcement-and,
indeed, every citizen has a stake here. I am anxious to hear more from the
parties to the deal about how they believe the proposed transaction, as
presently constructed, advances the public interest. It will come as no news to
them that they face a very steep climb with me."

My question is, how does Comcast intend to use the many NBC O&Os out there?
Contrary to what someone stated, the newspaper article today said that Comcast
intends to keep those OTA stations.

On the face of it, that seems like blatant conflict of interest to me.
Something that ought to violate some perhaps undefined "national cap" out there.