[opendtv] Charging to Use "Free" Spectrum

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:06:06 -0800

John Shutt wrote:

"There is nothing that would prohibit stations from carrying ATSC streams
with video encoded with the latest and greatest codec, as long as at least
one stream remained NTSC quality MPEG-2."

I know this will not be a popular statement, but if the broadcasters are
going to get the spectrum for "free", it is my opinion that they should be
required to provide all the content on them free and clear.  If they want
subscription fees, they should buy the spectrum at auction.

I realize legally, broadcasters only need to throw out a low quality
picture for free and use the rest of the bits for other services, but in my
opinion, this does not satisfy the spirit of the notion that they are
providing a public benefit for use of the public spectrum.

Of course, I am not saying that I am not for better uses of the spectrum,
just that I think there needs to be better definition of how the public
benefits for giving the broadcasters the spectrum.

Just my two cents.

Dan