[opendtv] Chairman Genachowski speech to Rainbow PUSH

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 17:33:57 -0500

Chairman Genachowski is showing more of his activist spirit.

http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2010/db1029/DOC-302514A1.pdf

Some highlights:

"The digital divide is seriously troubling; more troubling now than in the
past, because the costs of digital exclusion are rising. Closing this divide is
one of the most important civil rights issues of our time."

Now it has become a civil rights cause.

"Pew asked people whether or not they thought promoting broadband access should
be a government priority. Somewhat surprisingly, non-Internet users -- the
people who would benefit the most -- want government action the least."

?? How is that surprising? He must believe that the vast majority of those
without broadband are that way only because the greedy companies are forcing
them to be without. And that the government's duty is to force the greedy
companies to buckle under. Amazing logic.

"Only 5 percent of people who aren't online think universal broadband should be
a top priority for our country. Similarly, the lower your income, the less
likely you are to think government should be taking action; same for your level
of formal education."

What this proves to me is that for the most part by far, those without
broadband are that way by choice. Maybe these same people don't think public
libraries should be a top priority either. Maybe NYC residents think that
private automobile ownership isn't all that desirable either.

Why does it become FCC's mandate to change what people think?