[opendtv] Re: Broadcast Flag

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:33:34 -0400

Doug McDonald wrote:

> --- John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > You connect the serial port to ANY device with an
> > RS-232 port that can send the firmware data.
>
> The Samsung stuff requires a PC, since it is a
> Windows program. It might work on a Mac with
> a PC emulator, since its sllllloooooowwwwwwwwwww.

Looks like one way or another, a PC is introduced.

My Philips DVD recorder requires a PC to download the
upgrade files and then burn a CD-ROM. The CD-ROM is
then simply played in the recorder and it does its
thing, showing you the progress on its local LED
display. Or in principle, Philips can ship the CD.

Perhaps, once ATSC has been operating for a suitable
period of time, the stations will datacast upgrades to
receivers? Seems like a natural for any device with
and ATSC receiver built in, no?