[opendtv] Re: Bolivia TV standard mystery

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:52:47 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> Regarding my area: the Santa Barbara Mkt. is somewhat
> a-typical, spanning the coast for about 150 miles and
> crisscrossed with very significant mountain ranges. The
> network VHF transmitters are scattered from the extreme
> North end to the extreme south end of the market. There
> are very few population centers that fully receive all
> three stations, while many receive none or just one.
> Covering this market with OTA UHF DTV would require a
> large mix of repeaters and translators*. However, that
> is an unlikely scenario given that Cable/DBS service
> has major penetration - obviously!

What you describe could be the situation all over Italy. That's exactly
the terrain they have, and with 70 percent OTA usage, there is an
incentive to make the system work.

What they do can be seen by searching for reception info at

http://www.dgtvi.it/dgtvi/copertura.aspx?TRS_ID=1550000

You are asked to select a "county" (provincia, listed according to the
region of each county seat) and then an individual community (comune).
It's amazing to see how fine-grained the system is, when locations that
are geographically close together get their service from a different set
of translators. Use of low power transmitters helps in having to create
the large national mesh.

So let's look at a real world example in a mountainous region called
Abruzzo (region being equivalent to a State in the US). One of the
county seats of this region is l'Aquila. It gets a full complement of
DTT stations, 7 multiplexes, from three transmitter sites. One in town,
two on mountaintops nearby.

Then you head south, up a plateau to a town just 16 miles away as the
crow flies, Ovindoli. Same county as l'Aquila. Well, as of now, Ovindoli
has its own translator, and none of the stations from l'Aquila show up
in the DTT coverage list.

It's the same story everywhere else. In some cases, with clear shots,
they expect fairly long range reception from mountaintop transmitters.
Otherwise, and in most cases, service depends on many translator sites
scattered around everywhere. That's the norm. The professional antenna
installers know what antennas and orientations are needed for each
location, so it's not like individuals are expected to sort it all out
on their own.