[opendtv] Re: BBC DTT HDTV trials

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:58:03 -0500

Too many variables. But at ATSC bit rates and with the best equipment, proper oversampling, I'd probably bet on the 720p/60.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Nick Kocsis wrote:

I don't think it likely that anyone will broadcast 1080p
in ATSC without scrapping the standard in spite of capable
1080p receivers now coming on the market.

Seems to me we are in the same boat as DVB-T. Transmitting 1080p is not
in their plans either. It's 720p or 1080i. In fact, I don't see any of
the lower frame rate 1080p options listed or mentioned in DVB-T HDTV, UK
or French varieties.

I don't know if 1080 at 60p fits in a 19.39 Mb/s channel as easily as
1080i. I know many think it should, but maybe the image prefiltering
required for 1080 at 60p would soften the image appreciably. Meaning,
you would lose horizontal resolution compared with 1080i, and not gain
enough vertical res compared with 1080i to make up for the loss of
horizontal res. The effect might be loss of image detail overall.

Maybe with AVC this would work better.

But the benefit of a 1080p display, IMO, is that it can deinterlace a
1080i transmission. I would not be surprised if deinterlaced 1080i, in a
1080p display, looks higher def than an upconverted 720p in such a
display. Any bets on that?

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com