[opendtv] Re: Apple could face antitrust probe over Flash

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 12:47:49 -0400

At 9:55 AM -0500 5/5/10, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
I also have a hard time understanding how "antitrust" might apply here. More like, an overbearing attitude at Apple. There's no law against being overbearing. As always, the fault is with the customer base. Show Apple how you dislike their decision by not buying the damned thing. Stop being such wusses.

Obviously a very large number of people are not Apple Fan Boys.

I think it is rather obvious that Apple is not exhibiting any monopolistic behavior, at least at this point. But this is a very important inflection point for the future of ALL computing platforms and devices.

IMHO, Apple has every right to impose limits on developers, especially if the developers GOAL is to design applications that run and look the same on EVERY mobile device.

Apparently, there is no shortage of App developers who WANT to be on the iDevices. What we are hearing is from those who are heavily vested in FLASH and would like to continue down that path rather than retooling/relearning for HTML5.

I think the real issue here is how to slow the pace of innovation at Apple, and the pace at which legacy platforms and products like FLASH decline. Most of the noise is coming from PC Fan Boys who thought that the Wintel platform would dominate for ever.

And as I noted a few days ago, there is another perspective in all of this - the customers.

There is a reason that the Mac is increasing market share and the iDevices are selling like hot cakes. People find the ownership experience to be significantly better than what has come before, and many like the limits and controls that Apple places on their ecosystem - especially parents who want a degree of control over what their kids have access to.