[opendtv] Re: And we were not even invited

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:51:12 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

Seems that the ATSC responded to a Philipines request for comments
that was offered well beyond the deadline for such comments.

http://www.ntc.gov.ph/whatsnew/611Comments%20on%20Philippines%20Draft%20MC.pdf

Interesting read. What is in there is good stuff. The problem is, it's a little late in coming. There was too much semi-clueless or completely clueless misinformation allowed to be divulged on ATSC from way back, even by the ATSC itself. And too, the system was not ready for prime time in 1999, when all the comparison tests were made.

When you're dealing with government officials and marketers, that's not a good position to be in. It's made worse when CE vendors decide not to sell the good stuff.

I think the best thing for the ATSC now would be for Congress to stick with the 2/17/2009 analog cutoff date (and the 3/1/2007 integrated set mandatory date), because those numbers are well ahead of most other transition schedules. If ATSC equipment becomes commonplace, and continues to improve as it has been doing, other countries will be faced with more interesting options to choose from.