[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Why the TV Market Has Been a Bust

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 03:12:51 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

Now everyone has an outdated ATSC tuner that hardly anyone uses,
 that won't work with ATSC 2.0 unless you add a STB.

So soon I'll have to buy a set top box to feed my set top box?

Heh. No, because Craig (as usual) overstates.

ATSC 2.0 is fully compatible with ATSC 1.0. Your STB will work just fine, unless you really want to click on those URLs in the TV screen. It's only the still-up-in-the-air ATSC 3.0 that is supposedly up for grabs.

Anyway, for those who dedicate a PC to their TV/audio setup, none of this is of any concern. At most, an ATSC 2.0 or 3.0 PCI card is all that's needed. The way connected TVs are turning out, perhaps dedicating that PC is not such a bad idea.

My wife's reaction to all of this talk of ATSC 2.0 and 3.0 was, "It's just an excuse to force people into buying new TVs."

I dare say, that is going to be a common reaction. There are certain staple products that don’t require constant "innovation." The real "innovation" people might want is in the content.