[opendtv] Analog switchoff in Rome

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:14:26 -0600

Rome TV transmitters went through the partial analog switchoff on 16 June, and
the complete switchoff this coming Monday.

What makes this evolution interesting (to me):

1. The main RAI multiplex (Mux 1) will be VHF, but only high VHF is used. They
call the channels 5-12, they span the frequency range 174-230 MHz, and by the
way, all Euro VHF channels are 7 MHz wide, not 8 MHz like the UHF channels. How
confusing is that.

2. The specialized RAI UHF multiplexes will be in SFN. But, no details given. I
have to believe that they are using the existing towers, two of which cover
Rome proper, for the SFN. They are ~23 Km (14 mi) apart, as the crow flies.
With a GI of 1/8, this should work.

3. The VHF frequency channelization will change from the unique scheme used in
Italy from day 1, in which VHF channels were represented by letters and had
slightly different frequencies from other Euro countries, to the Euro standard.
They will use the total analog switchoff as the opportunity to also jog the VHF
frequency bands. I sure hope STBs are capable of coping with this. They tell
the antennisti (to which the URL document is addressed) to check!

4. Some towers in the region that used to transmit the main RAI multiplex in
UHF are switching to VHF. Looks like all of RAI Mux 1 is going to be VHF.

5. Perhaps having heard the VHF issues here, the Monte Mario (North part of
Rome) transmitter site will transmit Mux 1 "temporarily" also on UHF Ch 25. But
they tell the antennisti NOT to use this channel as a permanent solution for
their clients.