[opendtv] ATSC Plots Future Technologies Course

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 20:18:08 -0400

I'm not so keen on 3D myself, but the other two new initiatives -- next gen OTA
TV and Internet-enhanced TV, sound like something worth watching.

The way the FCC has been sort of offhandedly assuming that distributed
transmitter architectures would be a way around spectrum shortage, which always
sounds oh-so-sound-bite to me, I would have to expect that a new modulation
standard is not out of the question?

The Internet connectivity part seems like it's well on its way, with or without
the ATSC or even Google. You can just about let each manufacturer figure out
their own wrinkles, as far as I'm concerned, integrating the IP content with
the OTA and MVPD content as best they can.

Sounds like a lot of fun (for us non-broadcasters who have the luxury of
enjoying the show).

Bert

-----------------------------
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/101046

ATSC Plots Future Technologies Course
05.24.2010.

The Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) announced this week that it
was planning to “explore opportunities” along three lines: terrestrial
broadcast delivery of 3D TV, next-generation television broadcasting systems
and Internet-connected TV technologies.

The announcement was made at the annual meeting of the group, held this year in
Pentagon City, Va.

“As we continue our efforts on the development of standards for Mobile DTV,
non-real-time applications and ATSC 2.0 activities, we must also lay the
foundation for future technologies and standards that will enable new
capabilities and services for the broadcast television industry,” said ATSC
President Mark Richer.

At the meeting, the group’s board of directors formed three committees to
consider the feasibility and marketplace requirements for the three technology
areas under study.

The 3D Team will be chaired by Craig Todd, chief technology officer at Dolby
Laboratories, and will analyze and report on likely benefits in establishing a
standard for terrestrial 3D TV delivery.

The Next-Generation Broadcast Television Team plans to explore potential
technologies that may be used in creating a future terrestrial TV broadcast
standard. It will be headed up by Jim Kutzner, chief engineer at PBS.

The Internet Enhanced Television Team is being chaired by Rajan Mehta, director
of digital television standards, policy and strategy at NBC Universal. Its goal
is to look into opportunities created by Internet-connected television
receivers.