[opendtv] Re: ATI: Consumers need to understand DRM

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:34:09 -0700

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 09:00 +0200, Jeroen Stessen wrote:
> way into its products soon and the company preps an initiative to educate
> customers on
> different DRM technologies.

ATI is going to 'educate' us? Drawing on their *cough* many years of
expertise in the content protection industry, perhaps? The sheer
audacity of that statement floors me.

If you keep telling people the kool-aid is good, eventually they will
start drinking it.

> "There is no doubt in my mind that there will be more DRM in future
> All-in-Wonder
> (AIW) products in the future"

There is no doubt in my mind ATI products are not in my future.

Vote with your wallet. Not everyone wants a convergence computing device
with some bullshit DRM chip or *cough*big brother*cough* content
protection hook on it.

> Bummer...

Yeah, for them. Why is it that we just 'accept' these things as
consumers?

I realize that for the content protection industry to have a viable
business model they must preach doom and gloom, loss or profits,
industry collapse, yadda yadda, but really, come on, 99% of the viewers
out there just aren't going to care to pirate 99% of the content out
there - they just don't have the time or inclination. The other 1% will
get around these DRM issues no matter what, ofcourse inconveniencing the
rest with higher prices for hardware and more complex configurations.

Cheers
Kon