[opendtv] Re: A/53C PID requirements for Jan 1, 2005

  • From: <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:06:01 -0500

I made the change at our station about six months ago. I would advise using
your transport stream monitor and examining closely that the MPEG Transport PSI
tables are in agreement with the ATSC PSIP tables.

After the change (we were following the ATSC A/58 recommendation of starting
from program 2 (eg PMT 0X20 Video/PCR 0X21 etc) we found that about half of our
receivers immediately found the new paradigm and the others needed to be
rescanned and were fine. However, as we discovered in the past, if there was
any misalignment between MPEG PSI and ATSC PSIP MGT then you would have
problems.

Also, it is important to ensure that other descriptors are correct. We had a
problem earelier when the TSID in the PMT did not match the TSID in the TVCT:
in this case some receivers would not display but would acknowledge presence of
a program!

The only real answer is to use you stream analyser and examine closely for
discrepancies.

Terry Harvey