[opendtv] Re: 720P = 540i ?

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 16:32:33 +0200

Hi,

Donald Koeleman wrote:
> At wich of the four business divisions :-) ?

Dunno. "Home" probably. San Jose CA. And it's not funny.

> And what do you guys think of this dscaler project,

Watching it. Interesting work of amateurs, not necessarily
with a negative meaning to the word amateurs. After all, a
"pro" is mostly still an amateur, but with a paycheck...  ;-)

http://www.dscaler.com/dtv-vs-windvd/Passion_Of_Mind_WinDVD_Showdown.htm ?

> I can tell you that after scrolling up and down, between the images
> I did rather poorly;-).

I saved the 2 images, and the file names were a bit tell-tale.

Then I toggled between them in ACDSee, and the most obvious
difference is in the picture width ! Very strange, how can
two renderers extract a 720x480 image from the same DVD, with a
different picture width ? At least one of them must have been
scaling, without being asked. We see that all too often, that
video players on a PC apply scaling multiple times. Must have
something to do with square and non-square pixels. I notice
with delight that on this year's WinHec it has been mentioned
that in Longhorn they will delete a lot of these unnecessary
cascaded operations: scaling, color space conversion, amplitude
stretching (16..235 to 0..255), all for a better TV-out quality.

But what other difference am I supposed to see ? There doesn't
seem to be much of challenging motion that would reveal the
quality of de-interlacers or of frame-rate up-converters.
There's enough difference in the textures that at least one of
these pictures might look "funny" when it moves. Who knows,
compared to a plain DVD player connected to an interlaced display
both of these computer players might perform very badly, only
in different ways. On the basis of this data I can not tell.

I'm off for a long weekend now, so please don't expect any
more messages from me until next Monday.

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |