[opendtv] Re: 5th gen reply

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:41:50 -0500

I hope you don't mind me passing this on to opendtv. I have never agreed
with USDTV's decisions in the past including their predecessor WOW TV.
They were all about datacasting to fixed 8-VSB receivers when we wanted
to do opportunistic datacasting to COFDM mobile/portable/fixed
receivers. I could not understand a business plan that only worked with
fixed 8-VSB receivers especially in 2000 or 2001.

When I saw the birth of USDTV we had changed to a broadcast video and
data business plan that still needed COFDM but we could use 8-VSB if
there was a decent fixed receiver for a different venture. I could not
understand how USDTV could succeed with then current 8-VSB receivers and
MPEG-2. They may not have the money to make the switch now to MPEG-4 and
REAL LG 5th generation receivers which is what we need to start our
venture. That is why I am working so hard at this. If we get our 8-VSB
venture going it could/will facilitate our COFDM mobile venture.

Bob Miller