[opendtv] Re: 20060616 Free Friday Fragments (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:23:01 -0400

As Doug pointed out to the ATSC RF Task Force long ago, there is a great
advantage in knowing what the symbols are supposed to be over substantial
stretches of time.

A-VSB introduces known symbols into successive data segments so that after
byte interleaving known symbols extend over a few segments of interleaved
data.

 The hooker is that these few segments of interleaved data have to conform
to the 2/3 trellis coding.  So, because of the way the 8VSB mapper is
constructed, the repetitive PN sequences cannot be used without causing
pilot carrier inversion.  Being able to use repetitive PN sequences would
make computation of channel impulse response as simple as duck soup.

Allen