[openbeosstorage] Re: BDiskDeviceParameterEditor, BDiskScannerParameterEditor, and PartitioningDialog confusion

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 01:17:55 +0200

On 2007-08-02 at 18:46:50 [+0200], James Urquhart <jamesu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the insight into the uses for each of the Get*Editor
> function's. I appreciate it.
>
> For the sake of pushing the re-implementation of DriveSetup forward,
> it would be great if someone in the know would shell out the abstract
> BDiskDeviceParameterEditor base class. Considering DriveSetup won't
> quite be DriveSetup without it, it is pretty much crucial (even if
> the driver's don't implement the required editor code). Plus it would
> be nice for end-user's too. :)

Sure, the parameter editor stuff is pretty late on my TODO list, though.
Until I my little command line partitioning test app actually can perform
(the important parts of) the modification functionionality our API is
supposed to be capabable of, I won't touch the parameter editor code. I'm
pretty sure there will be changes to the inner workings of the disk device
manager and  probably the public API, too. So, before I start implementing
how the parameters for the modification features have to be provided by the
GUI add-ons, I'd rather get the modification operations going first and
understand what they need in the first place.

> As for re-designing the GUI of DriveSetup, what did you have in mind?

Nothing as of yet. I'm only sure that a BeOS DriveSetup clone won't do. We
should probably have a hierarchical view of the partitions (tree view) and
we should probably also provide a visualization of the distribution of disk
space to partitions. Other than that I haven't really though about how it
should look like. Ideas are welcome.

> Personally i think Mac OS X's "Disk Utility" is a great example of a
> simple yet effective disk management interface, so maybe going for
> something like that would be a good idea...

I don't think I've ever see this tool.

CU, Ingo