[openbeosnetteam] Re: kernel- or user-land [Was: Change of heart...]

  • From: "Graham Gilmore" <grahamg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:45:58 -0500

>>      That's a lot of flexibility to trade away for a performance
>> difference
>> that not a lot of users will notice.
>
>No, you are wrong, a kernel stack properly done is easily ripped out.

        Easily ripped out by whom?  Kernel developers, perhaps :-)  Personally,
I wouldn't know where to start (though I would have a clue with a user
space network stack, because I know how user space applications work).
And wouldn't that require modifying the kernel itself?  That seems
rather more drastic than simply giving the user an application with a
built-in network stack to fire up on their existing kernel.

>And you don't have to use it for networking at all. You could still
>(and indeed, can) run net=5Fserver on a BONE BeOS system.

        I'll be the first to say that I'm no expert on either kernels or
network stacks :) How does one bypass the built-in network stack in the
kernel?

        Graham